For those who are still around, my it's been a while.

Welcome to the visitors complex, this is a place to gather and enjoy yourselves...
JPController
a hunter

Post by JPController »

Amazing how time flies, I was wondering what's everyone been up to, is the book that has fascinated everyone still inspiring real life, continuing genetic research, cloning, or just giving inspiration to the world. How you been people, I rarely pop on now and days, but I still do, so how old is everyone now and days? Been a fan of JP since it came out, now I'm 21, an entreprenuer, trying to make it out for myself, and a part time gamer, I joined a great css community, and have been striving to make the best out of my life. How about everyone else?
JPD VET DJP3 VET InGenNet VET
Site B Owner
Jon
db 2nd generation
Special Ranking: The All Seeing Eye

Post by Jon »

Nice to see you're still around. What is the CSS community?

I'm still around suffering from design's block and massive headaches lately. To think about it... I'm only 24. I recently graduated and now finding out how hard it is to find a job in this dwindling economy. I so far have about 303 rejection letters from places all over the United States which ranged from Astro/Physics research to Information Technology to Web Administration. It's looking pretty bleak out there.

I wish you good luck on everything you do! If you happen to run into a windfall send some my way. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Webmaster of the one and only JPdb
1999 to current, and still going.
JPController
a hunter

Post by JPController »

Like I said, part time gamer, I sort of got hooked to Counter Strike Source. And the community, is usbdt (United States Beer Drinking Team) they have a cal (cyber athlete) team. Also I have been keeping tabs on Jurassic Life, the hl2 mod. Wow 303 rejection letters? Damn. Hopefully, thing's will go up. Anyone else still around?
Site B Owner
Jon
db 2nd generation

Post by Jon »

People are around, but they don't seem to post. Maybe because I lack a Jurassic theme on this board. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Rex-Jay
a wonderer

Post by Rex-Jay »

I'll be here until JP1 is considered a documentary /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

But anyway, I have SATs this spring and a sci-fi novel to write...
jpIV
a hatchling

Post by jpIV »

This topic reminded me that I was 6 when JP released. It's been awhile, hasn't it? Now I'm 21, living in Australia for the semester and finishing my marine biology degree. I'm trying to find a grad school but money seems tight (go figure), and most of the people I want to work with won't take me unless I get external funding from grants. So right now I'm working on a big one for the NSF due Friday. I hope I have better luck than Jon!

It's funny you mentioned JP inspiring genetic research. I work on coral reef conservation, and a big issue in recent years has been rising sea temperatures, which cause corals to eject their algal symbionts and die. Our lab is trying to infect corals with more thermally tolerant algae, but before you can do that, you need to figure out which algae are already present. The only way to tell them apart is through DNA comparisons, so I pretty much spend all of my time isolating, amplifying, and sequencing DNA, and comparing it to sequence databases stored on big supercomputers. So there's actually a lot of Jurassic Park in what I do--that's probably one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.
jpIV / Everett
[url=http://www.kampkoala.com/]kampkoala.com[/url]
[url=http://www.kampkoala.com/][/url]
JPController
a hunter

Post by JPController »

That's interesting.
Site B Owner
Jon
db 2nd generation

Post by Jon »

Well it's true, Coral has a temperature threshold of about 1 - 3 degrees Celsius above the yearly average. Anything more than that it'll cause coral bleaching.

I actually wanted to pursue a Marine Biology degree, but settled on Astrophysics for some reason. Nice to know someone around here did something closely related to that. Now I can't get a job because I lacked a GPA over 3.0 (2.8--I know it sucks...), barely any research experience, and I start a new job in the Information Technology field on Monday. Woohoo.

Take that! 1 semester in a Global Environment and Transformation course. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Dinosaur_Neill
a wonderer

Post by Dinosaur_Neill »

Jon wrote:QUOTE (Jon @ 11.09.2008 11:07) Well it's true, Coral has a temperature threshold of about 1 - 3 degrees Celsius above the yearly average. Anything more than that it'll cause coral bleaching.

I actually wanted to pursue a Marine Biology degree, but settled on Astrophysics for some reason. Nice to know someone around here did something closely related to that. Now I can't get a job because I lacked a GPA over 3.0 (2.8--I know it sucks...), barely any research experience, and I start a new job in the Information Technology field on Monday. Woohoo.

Take that! 1 semester in a Global Environment and Transformation course. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Dude, I have a BSC in Biology and I work as a pre-press technician/freelance graphic designer, essentially I have a 50 000 dollar piece of paper hanging on my wall (i.e. diploma) but I don't regret my years at school. It really gives you the skills required to make it in this work and it was a lot of fun too.

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/fossilfueled]M E R C H A N D I S E!!![/url]
Cody the Raptor
a hunter

Post by Cody the Raptor »

I give up on everything. I've lost interest in everything too.
I drink, party and sleep.
Cody the Raptor, EST 1997