jurassic park won't become real

Could Jurassic Park ever really happen? How much of what you saw in Jurassic Park can be considered real? Discuss all of that and more here...
SSJDinoTycoon42
db 2nd generation

Post by SSJDinoTycoon42 »

from that video, the one in the jar looked like a juvenile. they said that since it was preserved, if they ever took it out, they might be able to extract DNA to clone another.

it's too bad they didn't try harder to find them.

btw, what's the status on the Condor population?
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

Condors are climbing in population. Currently at approx. 200 individuals Condors very handsome birds.

Thylacines are thought to be extinct there are 7 preserved specimens of juveniles and they have been unable to clone them. The searchers did try and are trying their hardest to find the animals, so be nice.
When all is said and done and the world is empty how much does it really matter the amount of money you had or what car you drove?
SSJDinoTycoon42
db 2nd generation

oh no i wasn't trying to be mean or anything, it's just from the way he said it, it sounded like they hadn't put a lot of effort into it.

did Condors stay endangered, or did they actually become extinct at one point?
lilgamefreek
the extinct

Post by lilgamefreek »

I'm not usre, but I believe at one point they rallied up all known condors (somewhere around 9 I believe) that were in the wild and put them all in a captive breeding program.

Zombies. Hilarious
SSJDinoTycoon42
db 2nd generation

oh i see
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

We haven't been able to make a species come back from extinction yet. So obviously they never went extinct. In 1987 the last wild bird was caught joining the other 26 in 1998 there were 150, 35 in the wild.

As of July 31 2005
Total Population: 278

Captive Population: 153
LA Zoo: 26
San Diego WAP: 27
WCBP Boise: 60
Oregon Zoo: 16
Mentor birds in field pens: 2
pre-release birds in field pens:22

Wild Population: 125

California: 57
Wild Fledged: 1
Southern California-released birds: 21
Central California-released birds: 33
Nestlings in wild nests: 2

Baja California: 13
Wild released: 13

Arizona: 55
Wild fledged: 2
Wild, from releases: 51
Nestlings in wild nests: 2

Changes in July
Arizona: 2 birds temporarily re-trapped
Southern California: 2 birds temporarily re-trapped
Central California: 1 bird re-released
Baja California: 4 birds released, but one was recaptured later
WCBP Boise: A captive adult bird died

Production in 2005:
Eggs: 50 captive laid
6 wild laid
Nestlings: 35 were produced in captivity
3 were produced from wild eggs
1 was produced in a wild nest from a captive laid egg

There you go, the most current data on the California Condor population. That took a long time to type out so you all better appreciate it.
When all is said and done and the world is empty how much does it really matter the amount of money you had or what car you drove?
trike10

Post by trike10 »

it will happen at some stage...i think there is a method that can't be thought of at the moment...but someone will discover it eventually...

did anyone read the post on JPT about the mammoth park in siberia...a scientist is trying to extract sperm cells from a frozen mammonth and create a living animal by impregnating an elephant and then continuing the breeding progress until a full mammoth is produced...or something like that...
SSJDinoTycoon42
db 2nd generation

yeah, i've heard of it. i saw a documentary on it showing them excavating the frozen mammoth. then they explained the plan to bring back the mammoth. unfortunately, it would take several generations for a full mammoth to be born. and since, elephant life spans are long, it could take many decades.

the way it would work is that with each generation, the offspring would look more and more like the mammoth, until a full mammoth was born.

as a matter of fact, i used their mammoth plan for a theory on the Isla Sorna raptors.
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

sure have, debated it and thought through other ways of doing it too.
nissin
the extinct

Post by nissin »

Hey I didn't know they did that!
But if thats the case the with Mammoth, then cloning dinosaurs shouldn't be too far off in the 'NEAR but DISTANT' future...