Could it be that instead of ancient DNA........

Could Jurassic Park ever really happen? How much of what you saw in Jurassic Park can be considered real? Discuss all of that and more here...
trex kills spino
the extinct

Post by trex kills spino »

i want to help with gnetic stuff*cuts off half his body replaces it with tenticals of giant squid* i am squid man.

look out hollywood
SSJDinoTycoon42
db 2nd generation

Post by SSJDinoTycoon42 »

This is for scientific discussion, not for trying to be funny or whatever it is you're doing. If you don't have something to add to the discussion, don't post in here.
trex kills spino
the extinct

Post by trex kills spino »

cant breath i gusse i should of have study more but really never slice human dna with animal dna its wrong.it was a deminstration
Last edited by trex kills spino on 12 Mar 2006, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

look out hollywood
SSJDinoTycoon42
db 2nd generation

Post by SSJDinoTycoon42 »

Well, be a little more serious the next time you try to present a demonstration or example.
lilgamefreek
the extinct

Post by lilgamefreek »

OMG! BUMP!

But I'll play along. Honestly, if we can get to the point of not just genetic manipulation but creation, that would be a miracle and a nightmare.

Zombies. Hilarious
Hadrosaur river
a hatchling

Post by Hadrosaur river »

That's an interesting idea. I was wondering if it was possible to recreate dinosaurs through artificial selection. In 1883, a subspecies of the zebra, known as the quagga, became extinct. Then a South African called Reinhold Rau tried to recreate the quagga through specially selecting and breeding zebras that most closely resembled the quagga.

Of course, with dinosaurs, this is a lot more difficult - whereas the zebra and quagga are very similar animals, nothing on earth today has that level of similarity to dinosaurs (apart from birds, which actually are dinosaurs)

In the JP novel, they mistake a Procompsognathus for something called a Basilisk Lizard, which apparently can stand upright from brief periods of time. If we found some other animal bearing some traits like that of dinosaurs to breed a Basilisk Lizard with, maybe in a few hundred years we could have evolved something resembling a Procompsognathus! (That's what I'd hope, anyway)
T-rex23
the extinct

Post by T-rex23 »

You make a good point, but I'm in today's society, don't we want something in few years, rather then hundreds of years?

I mean After all, this is a capitalist society, so you think scients would choose something less time consuming wouldn't they?
Hush! They may be near!
Hadrosaur river
a hatchling

Post by Hadrosaur river »

Mmm, I see your point...selectively breeding lizards that vaguely resesmble dinosaurs would take quite a while to get an actual dinosaur...

I like the idea of scanning a dinosaur skeleton and trying to figure out what its genetic code would be, though. They should give it a try!
T-rex23
the extinct

Post by T-rex23 »

Yes, yes they should, but now rises another problem....ethics...and societies readyness (sp) for such creatures. Now think about this, I myself set out to create a REAL Jurassic Park, if you want I'll get you my files and etc, but, where will you get funding to do it?

Send me a personal message if you want to discuss this further...
Hush! They may be near!
KL89
a hatchling

Post by KL89 »

Then again we have the aspect of - IF we have the knowledge to somehow breed up new dinosaurs - how dangerous that would be.
[b]Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word...[/b]