Could it be that instead of ancient DNA........

Could Jurassic Park ever really happen? How much of what you saw in Jurassic Park can be considered real? Discuss all of that and more here...
Dino_Slayer
a wonderer

Post by Dino_Slayer »

Humanity would someday be able to rather create artificial life that mimics prehistoric lifeforms? It is clear that creating an animal from original DNA is completely impossible because none of that DNA from any dinosaur specimen could survive millions of years. The best we can do is extract some very few, badly contaminated proteins from the tissue that was uncovered from a T-Rex fossil. My vision is that, in the future, scientists could take laser scans of fossils skeletons of, lets say, a sauropod, or an Allosaurus, piece by piece, put the parts together in a computer to form a full skeleton, use that skeleton model as a base to create the muscles and all the other inner organs down to the last bit of scails in the creature's skin in a digital simulation, and then raise this mimick in the real world by making a DNA strand with the code based on the simulation model? This could, infact, be what could happen probably 2-5 hundred years from now, knowing that were just beginning to understand the behaviour of genes. And it wouldn't just be limited to dinosaur like beings. Imagine someone creating a replica of a known cartoon, movie or a video game character. *shudders at the thought of Jar Jar Binks*

What do you think of this?
Last edited by Dino_Slayer on 04 Nov 2005, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
"With all the respect, JPIV, could you please start rolling?"- Dino_Slayer

SSJDinoTycoon42
db 2nd generation

Post by SSJDinoTycoon42 »

in theory (for now) it does seem plausible

once we learn which specific codes do what, we could use that information to design the creature we want to create and/or recreate.

aw come on...leave Jar-Jar alone... /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
lilgamefreek
the extinct

Post by lilgamefreek »

Then again, we have a long way to go before we can unzip DNA

Zombies. Hilarious
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

That's dream, the ability to manipulate DNA any way we want and know exactly what it will do.
When all is said and done and the world is empty how much does it really matter the amount of money you had or what car you drove?
Dino_Slayer
a wonderer

Post by Dino_Slayer »

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Tyrannis. I mean, many things, like flight, seemed impossible for man to do before airplanes were actually invented. Truth truly is stranger than fiction.

As I said, it may quite likely take over five hundred years to really learn to manipulate DNA. All we have right now are robots that are currently in insect level when talking about intelligence and abilities. All I'm saying is that, someday in the distant future, someone may be able to create an artificial Jurassic Park.
"With all the respect, JPIV, could you please start rolling?"- Dino_Slayer

chase
a hatchling

Post by chase »

I Have no backing for this statement, but, I think were closer to things like that than 5 or even 3 hundred years, as fast as the world is changeing, In our life time, I beleive every thing will be interactive, (like your actually there) Just look at how much has happened in the last hundred years its incredible to think that 115 years ago there were no cars and now there's air planes, and rockets and space FLIGHT (shuttles) plans to go to mars.. just things that you would of never even thought of say... 60 yrs ago it's incredible, It seemes like when ever some thing is thought up now adays with in 10 to 15 years it accomplished! any who "IT COULD HAPPEN"
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

Oops, I was agreeing with you actually. I meant to say "That's the dream" just missed a word. I can't wait for it to happen and I'm thinking it'll be within the next 2 centuries that it's goign to happen
When all is said and done and the world is empty how much does it really matter the amount of money you had or what car you drove?
nissin
the extinct

Post by nissin »

Well, its quite a thought (kinda lets your imagnation go a little wild too). We can't underestimate our technology today. I mean, in the past 50 years or so, we've come quite a way. If we are sucessful with the DNA thing any time soon, we might be lucky to actually see all the above. Then again, we're always coming up with new things in science/technology these days..., so you never know what might happen in the next... say, 20-60 years time...?
I have a feeling Japan will come with this kinda stuff first... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" /> lol
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

Hey you're the closest one to there that I know.
nissin
the extinct

Post by nissin »

As in distance between Japan and New Zealand...?