Jurassic Park 3D at IMAX

Was it the original DNA manipulated Jurassic Park, the return of inGen in The Lost-World, or just the worth-wild running around frantically Jurassic Park III that captured your imagination.
Jon
db 2nd generation
Special Ranking: The All Seeing Eye

Jurassic Park 3D at IMAX

Post by Jon »

Let me start by stating: I do not enjoy 3D movies. When given the preference I will take the 2D presentation over the other. It's not that I believe 3D is bad by any means. It has to do more with the way I am able to process visual information. One of my eyes happens to be dominate than the other. It prevents me from meshing two visual projections together into an eye-popping 3D experience. However, I can compensate by offsetting my viewing angle.

Last night I attended the 10 o'clock showing at the IMAX theater in Boston, Massachusetts. The theater was packed end to end. There were people in the audience dressed in Jurassic Park attire from t-shirts, hoodies and even an original Jurassic Park watch. That put me to shame, as I only wore a Jurassic Park t-shirt I received from Universal Studios back in 2001. (I assure you it has everything to do with me out-growing my attire over time... haha)

We all know what happens in the movie, so I wont go into that.

I will say Jurassic Park stood the test of time. Sure the computers are dated, the interactive CD-ROM made everyone laugh, and Ian Malcolm with an open shirt still made the girls in the audience giggle. In my humble opinion, Jurassic Park in 3D with the IMAX experience was definitely worth the price of admission. This is probably the first time I have enjoyed a 3D movie.

I didn't have much time to scout out a spot for the best viewing angle, but that didn't matter. Some of the scenes were just eye-popping. The post-production crew obviously spent a lot of time on the 3D conversion. It really shows. It's as if Spielberg envisioned the shots with a 3D add-on within the years to come. The scenes were smooth and clean. Just as I remembered from when I was a little kid. The post-production presentation is especially evident within the first few minutes of the film. Well done Speilberg. My hat is off to you.

At the end of the original film credits there is even a post-credit addition for the entire crew responsible for the conversion. That put a smile on my face.

The most noticeable for me was the audio transcription. The audio quality was just astounding. It sounded crystal clear. As someone who probably had Jurassic Park playing in the background all the time when I was young, there were notes, and musical cues I never heard before.

There are even bits I heard clearly for the first time couldn't make out on the VHS/DVD/Bluray copies (granted I do not have a theater system of any kind). The rumble in your seat as the tyrannosaurus approached... the John Williams' score was completely awesome.

When I left the theater that night, I could hear large groups of people singing the Jurassic Park theme while I waited for the Redline back to Harvard Square.

I am pleased to see Jurassic Park 3D earned $7 million dollars. The IMAX of Jurassic Park experience deserved every bit. Hopefully this is a testament to earning a decent Jurassic Park IV.

To kill time on Sunday, I'll probably see if the local theater where I live is screening Jurassic Park.
Webmaster of the one and only JPdb
1999 to current, and still going.