Hollywood Ride VS Orlando Ride

Got clips, pictures, or stories about your ventuer onto the Jurassic Park River Ride?
Ms. DNA
the extinct

Post by Ms. DNA »

Really?! The same thing happened to my dad when we were on it! His hat flew off his head and landed on the track right at the very bottom of the drop. So, after we got off the ride, we walked back past the drop and saw it lying there, helplessly getting run over by every car that came down the track. LOL, I think we took a picture of it. We came back a few hours later and it was still there! Poor hats! Hey, maybe they stay there forever! Perhaps your dad's hat and my dad's hat are friends. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

All you need is love!
williv
a hatchling

Post by williv »

I lived in Orlando for about 5 years. I was a annual pass holder at IoA and The River Adventure was always my favorite ride. I've seen pictures of the other one but it can't compare to the entire island surrounding the ride. Although I just visited the park recently and to my displeasure I found that they weren't keeping it up very well. One of the dinosaurs was missing its arms and some parts weren't working. But I still enjoyed it. If you are a JP fan go check it out.
dinodamone
an egg

Post by dinodamone »

I've been on the Hollywood one only and I loved it! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> It was a really hot summer in '03 so we went on it about 10 times! hehe. When I went to Orlando years ago it had never been built but I'm going back next year so hopefully I'll ride it then.
[b]POW POW POW![/b]
cjlemas007
an egg

Post by cjlemas007 »

Though the ride at Orlando is on a larger scale, there are a few differences that make the Hollywood ride superior in my opinion.

(1) The Scene Where The Boat Goes The Wrong Way - In Hollywood, Hadrosaur Cove went through a tunnel similar to the one the Explorers emerged from at the Tyrannosaur paddock in the first movie. It makes you really think something went wrong, because the art direction is much more compelling.

(2) The Raptor Pen - Though it's on a smaller scale than IOA's, you can actually see electricity between two wires on the frayed spots where the dinosaurs escaped from the pen. You can hear it, too. At IOA, you hear sound effects and see prop wires. The effect I'm describing is sort of like the arcing effect in the IOA Spiderman ride. In the power generator room that Electro shakes you up at, there are conductors with arcs of electricity running up.

(3) The T-Rex - Ok there's no question here. At IOA, when you round the corner, you can see the drop (mistake number one), there's a bunch of fog trying unsuccessfully to mask the T-Rex (mistake number two), and you can clearly see him come to life as if he were a robot. At Hollywood, when you round the bend, you can see the drop slightly, but there's a waterfall past it, and the assumption is that you'll pass through the waterfall. As the boat gets closer, the Rex bursts through the waterfall, with the water splashing off his snout. He was totally hidden behind the water, and the effect is amazing. Also, the impact tremors are more pronouced.

Interesting side note about the waterfall: Because the ride undergoes several hundred runthroughs every day, the burst pipe waterfall is designed to cut off in the middle, just as the Rex bursts through. It gives the illusion that he's blocking the fall, but helps to mask most of the water from soaking the robot. A little splashes off the snout for great effect.

I'd definitely recommend them both, but Hollywood scares you more. And another thing, if you ride the IOA JP ride in the summer, you'll ride it with all the effects on (fog, etc.) whereas if you ride in the off-peak months, they turn a lot of those effects off to conserve money. An employee friend of mine at Universal told me about that.

C.J.
nWo
a hatchling

Post by nWo »

Hollywood's is more impressive and more realistic, except for the fact that the theme is ruined when you see a huge parking deck behind the ride.

Mike
My Universal Orlando Resort Website www.universal-excitement.com
nWo
a hatchling

Post by nWo »

My Universal Orlando Resort Website www.universal-excitement.com