Genetics

Could Jurassic Park ever really happen? How much of what you saw in Jurassic Park can be considered real? Discuss all of that and more here...
RaptorSupremacy
an egg

Post by RaptorSupremacy »

i dont know what happened to all the old topics in this forum, but i'm starting a new one...

i dont know how possible it is to create all the different dinosaurs, but scientists MAY be able to attempt with misquito and dna extract like they were talking about in the first movie?

ive heard some rumors on the web and stuff that people are already getting started on related tests...

i just hope we dont try it, but it would be foolish to think anything really could happen like jurassic park, because after the movie was made, who in the hell would want to?
RAPTORSUPREMACY....
KITT's scanner...a bit hypnotizing maybe? at least it captures your attention!

------------------
Semper vigilians; always vigilant!

(proud to be a member of the Polaris Squadron; --->Civil Air Patrol)
------------------
http://jurassickingdom.net/JurassicParkDomination/index.php (my JP forum; please join! ^_^)
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

You're never going to get dna in any measurable quantities, the dna in a mosquite has been broken down by the digestion on the blood even if it it a dino right before it died. Now what might work is reverse engineering, if you don't know what that is look it up although the name is pretty self explanatory.
Last edited by Tyrannis on 16 Mar 2005, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
When all is said and done and the world is empty how much does it really matter the amount of money you had or what car you drove?
JPjunkie
a hatchling

Post by JPjunkie »

Once we understand DNA and how its coded, we will problaby be able to piece together a decent dinosaur, though not a perfect specimen. I'd say give it about 40 years. We already are unlocking the human genome to great extents. And cloning is becoming almost routine these days.
[b]~Jurassic Park Guru~[/b]
[i]- Systems Techie -[/i]
Jurassicpuff
a hunter

Post by Jurassicpuff »

Yeah, there's a company somewhere that will clone your cat for you! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I'm serious!
There's no secret to toasting perfection!
There's a dial on the side to make your selection!
RaptorSupremacy
an egg

what JPjunkie and Tryannis pointed out i agree with, and i forgot about those related things when i was posting this subject. so yea, there is definitely a lot more to consider that what i just pointed out.

it obviously will take MUUUUUCH more time to master the DNA code, let alone create something ancient like a dinosaur, particularly for the fact that we were never around to see them for ourselves. either way, its still really far fetched, even though, like jurassicpuff said, we can clone certain body parts and animals (apparently), but sure as hell, it will be a while before we can clone/and or create dinosaurs.
Last edited by RaptorSupremacy on 17 Mar 2005, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
RAPTORSUPREMACY....

------------------

------------------
http://jurassickingdom.net/JurassicParkDomination/index.php (my JP forum; please join! ^_^)
JPjunkie
a hatchling

Post by JPjunkie »

Yeah, I agree. Dinosaur cloming isn't really a hot subject anymore (Kinda sucks). We'll be cloning recently extinct animals (dodo, mamath, sabertooth tiger, ect...). And we'll prolly do it to prevent animals from going extinct, panda, rhinoes, ect...

Let's take assume that DNA is following the same path of technology. If we do this we can also assume that it will follow alone the lines of Moore's Law, which basically says that computer technology is doubled every 18 months. We've decoded lots of animals now, and more all the time. It's very exicting.
Last edited by JPjunkie on 17 Mar 2005, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
[b]~Jurassic Park Guru~[/b]
[i]- Systems Techie -[/i]
RaptorSupremacy
an egg

yea it is...but i also wonder at our conservativeness for the worlds life and condition over all.

it feels like sometimes we waste things on our planet too much. we really should stop and think more...and were gonna regret it if that is so, when the time finally comes around....well...forget that, i've grown rather pessimistic over the course of this year..../rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

but at the same time, i definitely agree with you, it is quite exciting when one gets thinking about it...but on the other hand...it can seem the exact opposite...
RAPTORSUPREMACY....

------------------

------------------
Deepu_ravi
a hunter

Post by Deepu_ravi »

if we manage to clone dionsaurs how could it live in this hostile environment i mean the climatic conditons and vegatations.they are differnt from the climate and vegetation 65 million years ago.
[The lawyer seeks shelter from the T.Rex in a bathroom]
Dr. Alan Grant: Well where does he think he's going?
Dr. Ian Malcolm: When you gotta go, you gotta go

- Jurassic Park
Tyrannis
db 2nd generation

Post by Tyrannis »

Hence the reason I say screw cloning, it wouldn't work anyway there is no soft parts left in fossilization it's all turned to rock and you can't get a genetic sequence from a rock.
Now like I said before Reverse engineering could very well work, and work easily. Take a look at the Hoatzin they have re-evolved arms in the chicks now all you have to do is deny their DNA the ability to turn the arm into a wing and you have birds with claws and hands. The same goes for long tails and teeth, find the sequences that deny them the ability to grow/grow bigger and you'll have clawed, long tailed, toothed birds aka dinosaurs. The DNA is all in there the information how to do it is there just gotta go on a little hunt to find it.
Now once that is all done I'm pretty sure you can transfer the sequences in the birds to others so as to make more birds be dino like. Take a Golden Eagle and do it and you'd have a small (maybe you could make it bigger) ground predator that would probably do what a Velociraptor could do. Take an Ostrich and do it and you would have something Drysaur/Gallimimus like. Take Roadrunner and you'd have a small insectivorious dino kinda like a Compsognagthus probably.
Now even further down the line when we can manipulate the genetic structure even better maybe could even make Tyrannosaur similiar predators because the differences aren't that big, all theropod predators are built on the same plan.

Jurassic Chicken
When all is said and done and the world is empty how much does it really matter the amount of money you had or what car you drove?
JPDinolover
a hatchling

Post by JPDinolover »

If they do that(probably not, who knows?) We could have minaturized pet dinosaurs. They might not be able to make a life size T-rex, but if they use Cassowary or something, they can be minature. Then again, this might not happen(90% chance). But it would be so cool!