Surprising news on Spider-man 3

All your latest news on Movies, Music, Sports, and more...
pack raptor
a wonderer

Post by pack raptor »

Sam Raimi recently announced that he has plans of making Spider-man 3 the final installment in the franchise. Spider-man producer Amy Pascal wants closure of the Spider-Man franchise in the third film, so Raimi went along with that idea. It is rumored that Sam and his brother Ted have already written their first rough draft of the film.
I have mixed feelings about this. There are so many great villains that are part of the Spider-man saga that I would like to see on the silverscreen, like: Venom, Black Cat, Carnage, Sandman, Rhino, and etc. that we may never see. If this is the finale, Raimi may clutter the film with too many of Spider-man's classic foes. Leaving little room for character development.
But this could be an excellent way to end the series. Raimi and Koepp have delivered the goods so far, and all of the main cast have already signed on, so why not go out with a bang? Instead of fizzling out like the Batman franchise.

I don't know how to put up a link, so you can see a full review if you go to www.countingdown.com, and type in Spider-man 3. Then click on the link.
Last edited by pack raptor on 25 Nov 2004, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
- Josh

"If I was president I'd get elected on Friday, assassinated on Saturday, and buried on Sunday." - Wyclef Jean
Alexander
db 2nd generation

Post by Alexander »

It'll only be Venom if Raimi appeals to the fans' wants. Raimi hates Venom.

"Do you have a flag?"
Jon
db 2nd generation
Special Ranking: The All Seeing Eye

Post by Jon »

It's not that Raimi hates Venom, but NewLine owns the rights to Venom. They plan to make a Venom movie in the future. I don't know why, so oh well.

I think Venom would be cool though, but Columbia-TriStar has to buy out NewLines rights to Venom. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Also, the if this is the final film, I say make it like 4+ hours long! I could sit through hours of Spiderman stuff.
Last edited by Jon on 26 Nov 2004, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster of the one and only JPdb
1999 to current, and still going.
pack raptor
a wonderer

Post by pack raptor »

When did NewLine buy the rights on Venom? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />
- Josh

"If I was president I'd get elected on Friday, assassinated on Saturday, and buried on Sunday." - Wyclef Jean
Jon
db 2nd generation
Special Ranking: The All Seeing Eye

Post by Jon »

years ago.. when fox and columbia were fighting over the rights for spider-man.
Webmaster of the one and only JPdb
1999 to current, and still going.
pack raptor
a wonderer

Post by pack raptor »

I read in the last issue of Wizard that Avi Arad has said that the Spider-Man franchise will continue after the 3rd. installment. I just hope that they don't milk it too much.
- Josh

lord_w_pizzaball
the extinct

Post by lord_w_pizzaball »

Finishing the Spiderman series as a Trilogy is no good idea. Each villain must have its own film so I guess there will be lots of them. Maybe putting two evil guys in one film is the best solution.
--------------------------

Harvey said: [i]"I'm gonna hunt you down and kill you"[/i]
Shark Death
the extinct

Post by Shark Death »

Well, it's obvious they'll go with Hob Globin being the main villain, SM2 made that quite clear. But they had Dylan Baker, a recognizable actor, playing Curt Connors (The Lizard). Venom's character has yet to have a face put to his name. And John Jameson was a rather important part in SM2. So .. will we see Venom? Probably not. I'm a huge Venom fan, but I won't miss him if he's absent in SM3.
pack raptor
a wonderer

Post by pack raptor »

Sam Raimi said in an interview with Wizard magazine 2 issues back that he may not have Harry develop into the Green Goblin. Even though they left such an obvious opening for it. He said that if he doesn't include Hob Goblin in the next installment he'll have a damn good reason for it. You know I really wouldn't want to see a film version of the HobGoblin on film anyways. I think that Hob Goblin's arch is probably much better left as just a story line in the comics.

I disagree with you Lord W Pizzaball, I don't think that each film should have only one villain. Some Spider-Man villain's aren't as interesting enough to be the main villain in a 2 hour film. Like the Shocker, could you imagine an entire film where Spider-Man's nemesis is just the Shocker? Or the Vulture for that matter? I wouldn't want to see that. I think that some villain's should just have cameo appearances in future Spider-Man films. They should be robbing a bank or something and Spider-Man whoops them in one encounter and we never see them in the film again because they're not the main villain. Kind of like what Brian Bendis does in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics from time to time.
Last edited by pack raptor on 14 Dec 2004, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
- Josh

Shark Death
the extinct

Post by Shark Death »

Not going with the Green --> Hob story arch makes the whole scene of Harry discovering Norman's equipment (Which I always wondered how the glider and suit got into that room) pretty pointless. He'll definitely go with that.